Canine Parvovirus was first identified in the United States in 1978. Accidentally imported into this country, dogs in the US had no natural immunity to the parvovirus and spread was rapid and devastating, especially for puppies.
Canine parvovirus is released into the environment from infected puppies when they have a bowel movement. Then, unprotected dogs come into contact with the stool, and infection occurs when the parvovirus is ingested. All dogs are at risk, but non-vaccinated puppies are particularly susceptible to infection.
Most dogs with parvovirus have symptoms of lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting and severe, often bloody diarrhea. Dehydration develops rapidly and can be fatal. Early detection and treatment is essential to improve the chances of survival. This involves hospitalization with IV fluids and medications in the intensive care isolation unit. Many factors are in play but even with the proper care, the puppy may not survive.
Vaccination and cleanliness are critical to preventing a parvovirus infection. We will design a vaccination schedule tailored to your pet’s particular needs to help prevent your puppy from acquiring parvovirus.